Coastal Kayak Navigation
May 6, 2023 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm$79
Navigational knowledge and proficiency is important in order to be a safe, effective, efficient paddler, paddlecraft leader, and paddlecraft instructor. The purpose of this skills course document is to develop venue-appropriate navigational knowledge and skills.
During this class, participants will plan a short day trip as a group and have an opportunity to share navigation responsibilities on the trip.
Areas of focus include:
- Learn to effectively read a navigational chart
- Identify direction, buoys, day marks, lights, channels, and other significant features and their importance
- Measure distance and depth from the chart
- Develop a fundamental understanding of tides and current and their importance to paddlers
- Understand and learn to file a float plan
- Using a VHF radio for information and emergency calling
- Recognizing risk of collision using bow angle and movement with respect to land
- Maintain approximate estimate of position through use of piloting and handrailing
Venue: Traverse City, MI
Date: May 6, 2023