Paddling Safety Workshop – Sponsored by the US Coast Guard Auxiliary
October 16 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm EDT$15
This comprehensive land-based program will prepare you with the fundamental knowledge to prepare for a safe trip on the water. This program is being conducted as a service to the paddling community in cooperation with the US Coast Guard Auxiliary-Air Station Traverse City.
- Conditions important to the Paddler: 4-W’s (Water, Wind, Waves and Weather)
- Cold shock, hypothermia and hyperthermia; prevention and treatment
- Life Jackets (PFD’s): Types, Usage, Fitting
- Types of kayaks and their best use
- Important paddling and safety equipment
- Communication systems
- Personal Preparation: planning, clothing, food and water
- Planning and managing a safe day trip
We recommend that attendees supplement this on-land program with quality on-water skills and rescue (re-entry) education and guided practice to make the most of your paddling time.
Registration will be available through the US Coast Guard Auxiliary in August 2023.