The Long Term Paddler Development Program is designed for those interested in a progressive paddlesports education leading from basic flatwater skills through gaining confidence in coastal waters with waves and surf up to 2 feet and winds to 15 knots. This program is ideal preparation for those looking to develop personal skills and those looking to work toward becoming a Level 1/2 ACA Coastal Kayak Instructor.
The program begins with an observation day where we will meet to review your personal skills and determine the best course of action to meet your goals. Following the observation day, the program will consist of up to five separate days focused on the following skills, knowledge, and abilities:
- Essential strokes and skills
- Personal preparation and equipment
- Maintaining personal and group safety on the water
- Controlled capsize and wet exit with and without a spray skirt
- Develop strokes to maneuver your boat forward, backward, stopping, turning, and sideways
- Using edging to improve maneuverability
- Improving boat control through ext/level stroke and maneuver refinement
- Developing greater efficiency in your forward, reserve, and sweep strokes
- Preventing capsize through use of bracing
- Developing greater boat positioning abilities through refinement and application of active draw strokes
- Performing maneuvers using low brace turns, bow/stern rudders, and stationary draws
- Self and assisted rescues and towing
- Practicing self and assisted rescue techniques
- Personal and group leadership skills
- Understanding and managing on and off water risks
- Reading nautical charts
- Determining distance and time
- Using a compass
After progressing through the program, paddlers will complete a final day to conduct an American Canoe Association Level 3 Coastal Kayaking Skills Assessment.
The program will include significant on-water practice, mixed with video recording and analysis, dry land presentation, and “classroom” work.
Tuition will vary based on your desire to work with a group or on a 1:1 basis. Contact John to discuss your best option!