Upper Michigan’s Keewenaw Peninsula is a true treasure of the north and this 3-day/2 night adventure will give you a taste of Gitche Gumee. Guarded on three sides by Lake Superior, the varied shoreline is sure to amaze you. Expect to thread through playful rock gardens, visit sandy shores, watch Great Lakes freighters heading across the lake, catch a stunning sunrise, marvel at the Milky Way, and even spot a few Eagles soaring overhead.
We will meet in Copper Harbor the night before the trip to discuss the trip logistics, and prepare for our journey. After an afternoon of preparing, we will enjoy dinner together (cost on your own) in town.
We head out in the morning in search of adventure. Along the way, we will pass by Copper Harbor Light, visit High Rock Bay and the Keewenaw Rocket Range site, Keystone Bay, and the beautiful Montreal Falls. Camp locations will be selected nightly based on group abilities, wind/weather conditions and attempting to avoid the presence of other campers, whenever possible.
Our final day will lead us back to Copper Harbor by the afternoon in time to enjoy a final celebratory dinner.
Trip includes logistics planning, parking, and group meals while paddling. Dinner in Copper Harbor before and after the paddle will be on your own. Group members will be expected to assist with minor camp duties and sharing the load with group gear.
Group members are expected to provide their own boat (minimum 15′ 6″ with sealed bulkheads in bow and stern), personal paddling and camping gear, clothing, and snacks.
It is expected that participants interested in joining this trip will have participated in a minimum of three, full day journeys e.g. longer than 8 nautical miles, be appropriately skilled in group travel, self and assisted rescue techniques.
Cost: $195 per participant
Dates: TBD 2020
Location: Copper Harbor, MI
Before reserving your spot in any of classes or trips, please read the following carefully:
- All trips or classes are held rain or shine. Severe weather or weather unsuitable for your skill level will result in it being rescheduled for a later date.
- You will be required to read and sign a waiver form prior to participation in any class or trip.
- All participants will wear a properly fitted personal flotation device whenever on the water.
- You will need to have appropriate headwear, clothing, and footwear (water shoes or sandals that stay on) rain gear, and extra clothes just in case.
- Sunscreen is mandatory.
- Energy bars and light snacks are highly recommended.
- If you wear eyeglasses, please wear a leash for them! If you wear contacts, please bring an extra pair in case you lose them.
- Electronics on the water – AT YOUR OWN RISK – If you choose to bring a phone, camera, key fob, or anything electronic, get a dry box for them at any local sporting goods store, or leave them back on dry land!
- You can cancel up to 21 days before the event and receive a full refund.
- If you cancel within 10-20 days before the event, you will receive 50% back
- Cancellations within 10 days of event, no refunds unless we can get someone to take your place in which case you would receive a 50% refund.
- If a medical emergency should arise at the last minute, please call us. We will try to re-schedule you into another class in the future, but we cannot provide a guarantee. Documentation may be requested.
- Cancellations at our discretion due to weather will be rescheduled for a later date or a full refund will be given.