“Thank you for making our kayaking classes at the Door County Kayak Symposium such a rewarding experience. You taught us so much and gave us the skills and the confidence to help us to enjoy paddling for many more years. There are places we want to go and paddle and thanks to you and your excellent instruction we are much better prepared.” – Bill and Gail O’Neal
“John was a fantastic teacher. He was kind, funny, and inclusive. We loved this kayaking class and would love to continue with further classes. Now we want to buy kayaks!” – Charity P.
“Fantastic instruction! Learned so much! I will now be kayaking with more confidence thanks to this class! Highly recommended!” – Denielle N.
I am pleased to be offering a wide range of kayak skills classes and lecture-based programs throughout the upcoming season. Please see my complete course schedule below. If there is something you’re looking for and you don’t see it listed, please contact me at 630-269-8992 or through my Contact page and we can work together to create a custom program for you.
October 23, 2021 – ACA Level 1/Level 2 Instructor Update – Bolingbrook, IL
November 20-21, 2021 – Wilderness First Aid Certification (with CPR option) – Bolingbrook, IL
January 22-23, 2022 – Wilderness First Aid Certification (with CPR option) – Rockford, IL
February 26-27, 2022 – Wilderness First Aid Certification (with CPR option) – Bolingbrook, IL
March 8-10, 2022 – Canoecopia – Madison, WI
March 19, 2022 – CPR/AED/Basic First Aid – Bolingbrook, IL
May 21, 2022 – ACA Level 1/Level 2 Coastal Kayak Instructor Update – Bolingbrook, IL
May 22, 2022 – ACA Level 2 Essentials of Kayak Touring Skills – Manteno, IL
June 9-12, 2022 – ACA Level 1/Level 2 Coastal Kayak Instructor Certification Workshop – Chicago, IL
July 5-7, 2022 – Dark Sky Camping in Door County – Rowley’s Bay, WI
July 7-10 – Door County Sea Kayak Symposium – Rowley’s Bay Resort, WI
August 2022 – Isle Royale Sampler – Copper Harbor, MI
September 10, 2022 – ACA Level 1/Level 2 Coastal Kayak Instructor Update – TBD
October 6-9, 2022 – Marvelous Michigan in Style – Traverse City, MI
July 2023 – Alaska’s Prince William Sound – Whittier, AK
September 18, 2021 – ACA Level 2 Essentials of Kayak Touring Skills – Manteno, IL
August 14 – ACA Level 3 Coastal Skills Assessment – Lake Michigan, Chicago, IL
August 8 – Coastal Kayak Strokes and Maneuvers Refinement – Lake Michigan, Chicago, IL
August 5 – Instructor skills refresh – Monee, IL (private program)
August 1 – Flatwater Safety and Rescue, Rocktown Adventures, Rockford, IL
August 1 – Fundamentals of Moving Water – Rocktown Adventures, Rockford, IL
July 8-11 – Door County Sea Kayak Symposium – Rowley’s Bay Resort, WI
June 26-July 6 – Alaska’s Prince William Sound Guided Adventure
June 20 – Fundamentals of Moving Water, Rocktown Adventures, Rockford, IL
June 20 – Flatwater Safety and Rescue, Rocktown Adventures, Rockford, IL
June 10-13 – ACA L2 Coastal Kayak Instructor Certification Workshop – Madison, WI
June 6 – ACA Level 1 Introduction to Kayaking – Bolingbrook, IL
May 8 – ACA Level 3 Coastal Kayak Skills Assessment – Lake Michigan, Chicago, IL
May 1 – Introduction to Kayaking (for Prairie State Canoeists club)
March 12-14 – Canoecopia – Madison, WI
March 6-7 – Wilderness First Aid Certification (with CPR option) – Bolingbrook, IL
Before reserving your spot in any of classes or trips, please read the following carefully:
- All trips or classes are held rain or shine. Severe weather or weather unsuitable for your skill level will result in it being rescheduled for a later date.
- You will be required to read and sign a waiver form prior to participation in any class or trip.
- All participants will wear a properly fitted personal flotation device whenever on the water.
- You will need to have appropriate headwear, clothing, and footwear (water shoes or sandals that stay on) rain gear, and extra clothes just in case.
- Sunscreen is mandatory.
- Bring lots of water and sports drinks!
- Energy bars and light snacks are highly recommended.
- Lunch is not provided for classes or trips unless specifically stated in the description.
- If you wear eyeglasses, please wear a leash for them! If you wear contacts, please bring an extra pair in case you lose them.
- Electronics on the water – AT YOUR OWN RISK – If you choose to bring a phone, camera, key fob, or anything electronic, get a dry box for them at any local sporting goods store, or leave them back on dry land!
Please, arrive to the class/trip at least 30 minutes prior to start. If you are running late, please call me immediately. Be considerate of the others in your group. Please call me at 630-269-8992.
- You can cancel up to 14 days before the event and receive a full refund.
- If you cancel within 4 – 13 days before the event, you will receive a 50% refund
- Cancellations within 3 days of event, no refunds unless we can get someone to take your place in which case you would receive a 50% refund.
- If a medical emergency should arise at the last minute, please call us. We will try to re-schedule you into another class in the future, but we cannot provide a guarantee. Documentation may be requested.
- Cancellations at our discretion due to weather will be rescheduled for a later date or a full refund will be given.